Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Personal Bio

Ryan Chen
Professor Russell Feldhausen
CIS 115
1/22/17
Personal Biography
I was born in New York City in 1997 and I’ve lived there until I was twelve. Then my mom got a job working for my uncle in Kansas so me and my parents moved to Lenexa, Kansas. I started 7th grade and attended westridge middle school. I noticed people in Kansas are a lot nicer and more friendlier than most people in New York.

During my senior year of highschool I had no clue what school I wanted to go to and what major I wanted to study. I attended JCCC for a year then decided to go to K-State. My two options for me at the time when I decided to transfer out of JCCC was either KU or K-State because it was instate tuition and I wouldn’t want to go out of state and pay double the cost. The reason why I attended K-State was because of the atmosphere and it wasn’t as close to home as KU was.

At first I was a civil engineering major because I was kind of into legos and building structures. After my first semester at K-State I felt kind of lost of what I wanted to study again because I didn’t felt civil engineering was that interesting anymore. One day I was browsing the web and I came across a video on youtube with a title “Is computer programming hard”. I didn’t know much of what a computer science major does until that video. I thought it was cool so at the beginning of this first semester I decided to switch my major to computer science. One big thing in the video that made me switch my major is when they said there will be 1.4million jobs available for computer science and only 400,000 grads qualify for those jobs.

My favorite hobbies are to play basketball, go to any entertainment places, and go travel. I also like to hang out with my friends and family. My family are all chinese and from China except for some of my cousins that were born here. We cook chinese food every night and use chopsticks for every meal. My family members are all cool and they live all over the places. I have family members in America, China, and Canada. I’m the only child so all my cousins are like brothers and sisters to me. My mom does a lot of traveling and shopping while my dad is the exact opposite. He’s more of a person that comes home from work and just watches TV while my mom likes to do a lot of things.

My first job I had was working for my uncle when I was 16 installing cabinets to homes are are still being built. It was during the summer time and they didn’t have the AC installed in the homes so it was usually a pretty sweating and tiring job for me. During the school year I wouldn’t work. The summer before I went to JCCC I worked at sprouts farmers market as a cashier checking out items and bagging groceries and I would work there when school started too and stop working there after the first semester of college because I wanted to make my grades better.

After I graduate I hope to become a software developer out of the state. Or get a masters degree at a different college. Other than that I’m not so sure what state I want to work or where I want to work.

As I was skimming through the contents of the textbooks I feel like Programming in The Pattern Of Stones textbook looks interesting because the whole reason I’m in computer science is trying to learn how to program. Also in the book 9 algorithms that changed the future tittled “what is computable?” seems interesting because it’s a question and I didn’t know some things are not computable.

I’m usually on twitter and snapchat a lot so if I want to find news on technology and computers I go to the moments tab on twitter where there’s all the news. For snapchat I go on the discover tab and it has lots of news channels like CNN. Sometimes I can go on google and type in news on technology and computers and the latest news comes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment