Sunday, April 2, 2017

blog 5 - TUBES

Ryan Chen
4/2/17
TUBES
The book tubes I thought was a good book for people who would love to know about the internet or the history of where it came from. From me the book was a little interesting and boring at the same time because it had a lot of information they give you have you can’t remember it all. I feel like I wasn’t engaged in the book was because it’s a book trying to educate you not like a storytelling book that doesn’t educate you with all the information. It’s not as bad as other education books where they just talk about educational things while this book gives a little story while he is traveling while giving educational facts about the internet.
The most interesting thing I learned was when the author went to ucla in chapter 2 and talked about MAE-East (P.60) because I didn’t know there were Metropolitan Area Exchange which happened to be the internet exchange point. I didn’t know much of how internet worked or there has to be exchange points around the country in order to have internet. The book didn’t really explain much about MAE so I googled it and I learned there are 3 major MAEs which are east, west, and central on techtarget.com. There are also two central MAEs for frame encapsulation service in Chicago and New York.
The parts I didn’t like about the book was the little detailed information that didn’t seem interesting to me like when he stated he was checking his phone while eating an apple. It was sentences that didn’t needed to be included in the book because it had nothing to do with the internet unless if it was something interesting happened while he was traveling like “I saw a big collision outside the parking lot”.
Before reading the book I knew nothing about the internet but after I read it I felt like I learned a few things about it like how the internet is a fiber with thin glass strands filled with pulses of light (P.158). The book talked about the history of the internet if where it is build and how it works. I didn’t have any questions before reading the book and any questions that comes in my head after I was done reading the book.
I would definitely recommend this book to a friend if they are interested about the internet because the book is an interesting story about a man who is trying to find out how internet works. It would be different from other books in my opinion because he talks about his trip that he took unlike some books might just give you the history and facts about internet so all the facts without a story might be more boring in a book.
What I think is significant about the book is that it gives a story about one person traveling to different places like ucla or Milwaukee finding stuff about the internet. The difference about this book and other books about the internet is the story won’t be the same because it’s based off of what one person did. I think this book was chosen for the class was because it’s about the internet and internet has to do with computer science and on top of the book it also says national bestseller so why wouldn’t you want a good selling book for a class. I’ve notice that for the last book chosen for the class POTS for every reading we did the next day of lecture the topic about the reading was covered in class but for this book the topic about the books reading wasn’t covered in class.

"What Is MAE? - Definition from WhatIs.com." SearchNetworking. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Apr. 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment